Saturday, January 8, 2011

RWoP - the beginning

One day in March 2009, I was sitting at my computer & I heard a commercial.  Paula Deen was partnering with Kraft to host a cooking contest.  Four Ladies would win $25,000 for their winning recipes.  All I could say was "Wow...there are cooking contests for money?"  Little did I know that embarking in the RWoP journey would change my life forever!  I went to the web site and signed up.  Then I realized I would have to submit videos of me creating dishes using Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese.  Really?  That was step one of me having to get out of my comfort zone.  Normally, I hide from the camera, but I really wanted a shot at this!  We taped & taped & taped.  I didn't know a thing about taping videos, editing...I was so not in my comfort zone again.  With the help of family and friends, we pulled it off. 

Then the site was all buzzing about meeting in Savannah for the live event.  It was crazy.  A bunch of ladies who met through http://www.realwomenofphiladelphia.com/ were coming from all across the country to support the finalists and get to know each other.  It was better than I could have ever imagined!  We had our own cook off.  Went on tours together & made life long friendships.

For the live event, a group of us had agreed to dance & sing...ON STAGE with PAULA DEEN!  Never, ever have I gone that far from the comfort zone.  It is a memory that will stay with me forever.

Ten months later, we are still at it.   Next post will discuss phase 2 of the RWoP contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment